Re: xim doesn't work (scim)

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: xim doesn't work (scim)
Date: Tue, 5 May 2009 21:04:26 +0200

Hi,

> >> Checken & egg problem. If you don't offer applications why people want
> >> to type Chinese into your applications?
> >>

> > Well, that's why I think it should focus on application developments
> > that actually create revenue. People would prefer more to type
> > anything into an application if the act of typing give them some money.
> > Once we have money, we can buy more attention from i18n coders et al.
> >

> It depends on the development model & how you see it. You can also
> through "bad" application to users and if they can use, they might want
> to improve it. Some projects succeeded doing so. Me as an example might
> grow a lot of interest in working on optimizing user interface logic of
> PRINCE but since I cannot type things there I am not motivated to
> contribute ideas. Non-developer like me are also sometimes aiding
projects.

Well, I would be interested in Japanese support and I guess Chnese and
Japanese go close there.

Robert Burns for example has an English->Japanese translator. Reverse input
would be interesting too.

> > Since GNUstep's whole display system is all done in vector based, it's
> > pretty easy to provide WYSIWYG from the widget level, eg. you print a
> > widget you get a 1:1 postscript. It's text system is also very
> > powerful and very well designed and can be rotated by any arbitrary
> > degrees, pretty fit into DTP requirements by that it could allow
> > better integration and interaction between view and model.
> >
> Sounds interesting. Let me think, that may be inspiring to user
> interface design too.

Well, the unreleased Graphos application which is a rebirth of the old
"gdraw" application of Enrico Sersale surely fits in the DTP paradigm. It is
currently available in GAP repository. As soon as it reaches at least the
status of the old GDraw, I will release it as a preview.

Riccardo