thumbnail generation in GWorkspace doesn't work

From: Zhang Weiwu
Subject: thumbnail generation in GWorkspace doesn't work
Date: Sun, 10 May 2009 15:32:01 +0800

Riccardo Mottola wrote:
Thumbnails are nice but always a problem I use several programs on Mac,
Windows, Unix, all have their problems.
Yes I also experience a lot of problems related to thumbnail generation on all the platforms. However most of these problems are less critical then that of having no thumbnail generation.
Please be aware that GWorkspace itself can do thumbnails.
It doesn't work for me (yes I know it's another topic so I renamed the email subject). When I try "Services" -> "Thumbnails" -> "Make thumbnail(s)" , I got the following:

   Failed to contact service provider for 'Thumbnails/Make
   thumbnails(s)': timed out waiting for reply

By the way "Services" -> "Thumbnails" -> "Make thumbnail(s)" is a strange place to find this function, it is was little surprise to me. Do you think user would more likely to expect thumbnail view in the view menu together with "browse", "icon" and "list"? Yes thumbnails has to be made, but that is how internally it works and not necessarily exposed to user by menu structure.