Re: NSView drawing in tool

From: Andreas Höschler
Subject: Re: NSView drawing in tool
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2009 12:03:00 +0200

Hi Fred,

Is there at all an X server running while the service is executing? In
that case "xhost +" might help.

If I log into the machine with ssh or start the tool via cron as root then I get (as expected)

xhost +
xhost:  unable to open display ""

If there isn't any X server then you
will need a different GNUstep backend that is capable of initializing
itself and do the drawing without the help of X. We currently have
nothing in that direction, but theoretically it is possible to write
this sort of backend.

This sort of backend would be very nice to have for the problem described in earlier mails of this thread. I must admit that I need gui for the first time in a tool. But for mapservers and the like that's what is needed. It were really neat if GNUstep would support that. I unfortunately don't have the expertise to write such a backend. :-( Moreover this new backend should live well together with the normal art backend on the same machine. When a user logs in on the console (or any of the Thin Clients connected to the machine) and starts an app he should get art backend, but when a tool is started within a ssh session or by cron (with gui linked in) this tool should make use of the other backend. This sounds more like additions of the kind

        if self is a tool than do that
        otherwise connect to back (art) and do something else

to gui than another backend to me!?

Regards,

  Andreas