Re: General question about GNUStep

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: General question about GNUStep
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 23:00:23 +0100

On 25 Aug 2009, at 17:04, Simeon Mitev wrote:

It looks like I will go back to C++ or Java for the server,

Why? Objective-C is much better than either... it's a very good server solution (C++ is too inflexible and Java is slow/clumsy).

Hessian or my own custom low level protocol based on TCP/UDP packets and Objective C for the client.

Again, why? While distributed objects won't currently work, you can easily use serialized property lists or XML-RPC to do the job. Hessian should work too of course, but it's much less well known and well tested than the other solutions. Of course you can write your own protocol optimised for what you want to do, but it would be much quicker to use off-the-shelf software like XML-RPC and only replace it with an optimised protocol if you actually need to.