Re: gcc problem

From: Andreas Höschler
Subject: Re: gcc problem
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2009 15:52:40 +0200

Hi David,

checking whether the C compiler works... configure: error: cannot run C compiled programs.

This one is familiar. I had this problem while trying to compile GCC in /tmp on a cluster. The partition was mounted with the noexecute flag. You need to make sure that you are building GCC somewhere where it can emit binary files that they can run. The cross-compile line is a red herring; one common cause for this problem is if you are building a cross compiler the host probably won't be able to run binaries compiled for the target system.

I am building gcc in /usr/src as root and it can do there whatever it wants!? I don't wantto build a cross-compiler. Is this the default? How can I switch that off in the ../configure line:

../configure --with-gnu-as --with-as=/usr/sfw/bin/gas --without-gnu-ld --with-ld=/usr/ccs/bin/ld --enable-shared --disable-nls --enable-languages=c,c++,objc

Thanks,

  Andreas