Re: Themes [Was: Changes I've been thinking of...]

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Themes [Was: Changes I've been thinking of...]
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 10:55:03 +0100

On 12 Oct 2009, at 06:10, Germán Arias wrote:

El dom, 11-10-2009 a las 13:34 +0200, Fred Kiefer escribió:
Germán Arias schrieb:
3) Themes: Well, there are currently people working on it.

Are you sure about that? Riccardo has build at least one theme. I have heard that Greg was building a Windows theme and also worked on porting
Camaelon to GSTheme, but never seen any of it. Are there more themes
(based on GSTheme) out there? What is there state, what problems are
people facing and why are there so few contributions to extent the theme
support in GNUstep?

Well maybe I should be more precise "There are people working to
implement GSTheme". But even with the current state, I believe that much can be achieved with the colors (there are bugs but a few). For example,
I thought about a tool that could be very useful for packagers. This
tool gets the name of the user's theme and provides a similar theme for
GNUstep.

Sounds nice, copying the color schemes might go a long way towards making things fit in.

Or just provide a lot of themes and enable to SystemPreferences
establish a global theme.

Also sounds good. Easy to just list the installed theme names and set one of them as the GSTheme value in NSGlobalDomain. A bit more work if you want to be able to 'preview' a theme before setting it as a default, but still not too hard, and a really quite useful. The code in GSThemePanel.m which lets you select the theme for your running application could be used as a starting point.