What is GNUStep used for?

From: Gary Dumer
Subject: What is GNUStep used for?
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 15:25:42 -0700 (PDT)

Exactly what is GNUStep used for?

Here's what I can figure out:

1. It's not an operating system.

2. It's not a GUI builder.

3. It includes Objective-C as its main application building tool.

4. It has some really ugly, retro looking apps  (Gorm... etc.) for developing programs.

What I'd like to know:

1. Is it designed to promote Objective-C?

2. If it does not produce GUI apps, how were Gorm... etc. produced?

3. Is it mainly for Linux and Windows?

4. Is it necessary to use GNUStep and its libraries or may I just write ObjC apps using GCC?

The website doesn't do a very good job of introducing potential new users to the true purpose and use of GNUStep.

So I repeat... What is GNUStep used for?