Re: GNUstep dev environment

From: Michael Thaler
Subject: Re: GNUstep dev environment
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 20:08:02 +0100

On Tuesday 10 November 2009, discuss-gnustep-request@gnu.org wrote:

> The speed gain is done using the graphical interface builder (Gorm.app),
>  and by the greatly slim designed API, which allows you to achive all you
>  want with much less code:
>
> Quote of the Booz-Allen Study
>
>      * took 100+ senior programmers and trained them on NeXTstep, then
>  asked them  to write the same app on both NeXT and their previous system.
>      * First application written was written two to five times faster.
>      * Savings were 90 %
>      * 83 % less lines of code in the NEXTstep version
>      * 82 % said NeXTstep was better in ALL categories
>      * It isn't faster to code on NeXTstep; you just have to write less of
>  it. The  revolution is "getting rid of software".

When was this study done? Openstep/GNUstep/Cocoa are certainly a good
framework by todays standards, but I really doubt that a GNUstep application
will have 83% less lines of code compared to, say, one written in Qt or with
.Net or Scala with Scala/JFC class libraries. Actually GNUstep is missing lots
of things that e.g. Qt offers, therefore you will probably write more code for
complex application.

Michael