Re: Arguments of +connectionWithRegisteredName:host:

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Arguments of +connectionWithRegisteredName:host:
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2009 07:53:42 +0000

On 1 Dec 2009, at 02:20, Germán Arias wrote:

> Look this
>
> http://www.gnustep.it/nicola/Tutorials/DistributedObjects/node7.html
>
> In fact, this question born from this example. I discussed this with
> Nicola, and he suggested talk this here.

The example dates from before the time Apple changed the API to use host-local
connections by default.
I don't think the documentation is wrong so much as a little unclear ...

If it is an asterisk ('*') then the nameserver checks all hosts on the local
subnet (unless the nameserver is one that only manages local ports)

That phrase 'unless the nameserver is one that only manages local ports' could
be interpreted more than one way.

So I added a line to explicitly state that the host name should be omitted if
the nameserver does not support remote hosts.