Re: State of the 'Step

From: J. Jordan
Subject: Re: State of the 'Step
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 11:29:27 +0100

Gregory, Ronald, et al,

The Debian folks actually do a pretty good job of maintaining an easily installed workable group of GNUstep applications. I don't use them because I want to modify some of the apps with my own icons and adjust the UI using Gorm, also want to be able to install updated apps easily. Debian changes the installation path so mixing and matching is a hassle.

I think it would be great if we could come up with a system to identify applications that are known to build and run on a certain base/back/gui. Perhaps it could be tied to the version of Startup so that a few weeks before a new version of Startup is released it goes into to feature lock giving Application developers a chance to certify their apps against that version of Startup. Perhaps a numbering scheme like "GWorkspace-0.8.7-cert-0.22.0.tgz" could indicate that this is the 0.8.7 version of GWorkspace and THIS tarball has been demonstrated to compile and run on the default installation of Startup-0.22.0. It would of course be best if more than one person tests the app. Then Etoile, Debian, BSD, etc. could use those versions as a starting point to mod for their distributions, of course passing any bugs and patches upstream. Maybe GAP could host the certified version of the applications if they were willing.

-j