Re: Discuss-gnustep Digest, Vol 87, Issue 24

From: J. Jordan
Subject: Re: Discuss-gnustep Digest, Vol 87, Issue 24
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 15:40:15 +0100

Gregory

Glade is an application, not GTK in it's entirety...  Xcode is an IDE,
not Cocoa in it's entirety... :)

umm.. that was MY point.  :)

If we become a "Desktop" then the impression becomes that our apps
will not be useful on anything other than *OUR* desktop or that they
won't blend with other desktops.

What would you suggest we do to address this concern?

Gnome and KDE do not seem to worry too much about assuring people that their applications will be useful on other desktops and the only way Gnome/GTK apps blend with KDE is a special KDE produced theme which sort-of works. I think that is far outweighed but the average users response of "what do I need a development environment for, I don't intend to write applications?" Which means they completely miss out on all of the great stuff in GNUstep.

One spellchecker actually works across multiple applications in GNUstep (yeah, Gnome and KDE got that recently), Speech Output actually works in GNUstep, Gnome and KDE can almost do that if you spend several days setting it up. There are no system wide services in Gnome or KDE, no system-wide scripting. PulseAudio works well with GNUstep so I can use my bluetooth headphones and multiple sound devices because GNUstep does not have any sound implementation screwing it up.

So yes, I think it should be marketed as a Desktop with admittedly some holes in it. But the time is right, disaffection with KDE is growing, Gnome is stagnate and there is a renewed interest in alternatives. Do a search for WindowMaker and look at some of the renewed interest, some of those sites have been quiet for years and suddenly they are coming to life again. I think the time is perfect to get a supportive well written piece in _Linux Journal_ and I don't think that would be that difficult and would be great opportunity to start positioning GNUstep as the "Third Desktop" even though it was in reality the First Desktop. People are looking for an alternative "Desktop" but I don't think they are looking for an alternative "Development Environment." I know it is semantics but semantics are very important on initial contact.

Users become developers, developers write applications, applications attract users, users become developers ad infinitum. And, the base/back/gui/make developers do most of the hard work and get most of the heartburn and very little of the credit.

-j