Re: Discuss-gnustep Digest, Vol 87, Issue 24

From: Nicolas Roard
Subject: Re: Discuss-gnustep Digest, Vol 87, Issue 24
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 00:27:22 +0000

On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 9:32 PM, J. Jordan <jjordanthesailor@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yeah, I see that now.  Sorry to waste all of you time, I see now that this
> project has no future, the last thing the Open Source world needs is another
> development environment.  I will continue to search the web for usable
> GNUstep applications or whatever I should call them since GNUstep is not
>  supposed to have any applications.  I'll stay off of this mailing list as
> best I can, but I am going to have to keep using the apps-gnustep list
> because that is the only place to get or give any advice on getting apps to
> run.  I will do my best not to bother you GOD-LIKE develpers again.

uh... no need to react like that, and if you were pissed off by my
comment saying that at the end of the day in an open source project,
it's code and participation that matters rather than talk, I'm only
stating the obvious. It's not about "god-like" developers, it's about
involvement. And there's plenty of ways to be involved in a project
even if you don't write a line of code.

The last thing that the open source world is another development
environment ? GNUstep started as an implementation of OpenStep, so
it's only natural that we follow that path. The potential "value" of
gnustep for a developer (in terms of how quickly it makes developping
applications) is now less than it used to be -- simply because other
dev environments improved in the meantime. But it's still a pretty
damn powerful framework. And the difference nowadays is that many more
people are familiar with Objective-C and OpenStep -- thanks to Apple,
OSX and the iPhone. Anyway, that's irrelevant point.

The main point we are trying to explain is that if you want a
gnustep-based desktop, your energy should be redirected to one of the
existing projects aiming for this -- not trying to turn gnustep itself
as being a desktop. Your enthusiasm and energy is appreciated, but
it'd  be better to use it in a more constructive way than starting
flamewars.

--
Nicolas Roard
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound