Re: sync.m

From: Gregory Casamento
Subject: Re: sync.m
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2010 12:22:52 -0500

My apologies... I misunderstood the difficulty here.  I'd forgotten
that there is ObjectiveC2 and libobjc2. :)

I'm not certain what the right solution here is beyond continuing to
backport as best we can to ObjectiveC2.

However, I think the question I asked in the previous email I sent is
still relavent in general, though not related to this problem.

On Sun, Feb 28, 2010 at 11:44 AM, Richard Frith-Macdonald
<address@hidden> wrote:
> On 28 Feb 2010, at 15:06, Gregory Casamento wrote:
>> Just one thing here... if conforming to the coding standards is going
>> to be a point of contention, then I don't think we need to be very
>> strict on them, at least not until after the code is completed and
>> stabilized.
>> GC
>> On Sun, Feb 28, 2010 at 4:36 AM, Richard Frith-Macdonald
>> <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> Guess we should think about getting libobjc2 to conform to the coding
>>> standards soon.  At least that's easier because it's largely C code rather
>>> than ObjC, and the 'indent' program will largely do it for us.
> Well, that's why I didn't mention it until now (hopefully the code is getting
> stable ... it mostly seems to work).  It makes me wonder though, if it would
> be worth the effort of making the indent program work for objective-c (I've
> always liked the idea of just automatically converting things to a common
> style with indent when a file is committed but people being able to
> regenerate their preferred style with indent on checkout ... it really should
> be possible).
> Actually, David's original comment is a bit wide of the mark anyway ...
> changes to the ObjectiveC2 code are rather more than just reindentation as it
> needed a bug fix or two and quite a few changes to fix c99isms which
> prevented it building on older systems (and the whole point of a
> compatibility library is to allow older systems, specifically older versions
> of the runtime, to work without having to have masses of #ifdef's in the
> code).
> If we want to keep ObjectiveC2 and libobc2 sufficiently in sync to allow
> patches from one to be applied to the other, we will need to restructure
> quite a bit of the libobjc2 code to  avoid c99 features where possible, and
> David put a comment to Riccardo in libobjc2 specifically asking him not to do
> that (since the new library will only work on more modern systems), so unless
> David wants to reconsider, such synchronisation is impossible anyway :-(

Gregory Casamento - GNUstep Lead/Principal Consultant, OLC, Inc.
(240)274-9630 (Cell)