Re: sync.m

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: sync.m
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2010 20:20:27 +0100

Hi,
http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-4.1.2/gcc/Atomic-Builtins.html

In NSObject, we have a lot of code for doing atomic operations, to support old
compilers, and we still don't have (for example) fast paths for SPARC, ARM, or
MIPS unless you use GCC 4.2 or newer.  We only have fast paths on PowerPC and
M68K because I wrote the former and worked with Riccardo to implement the
latter.
wow, so except the m68k thing that was done more for fun a weekend but is perhaps not of such big interest (or does somebody runs gnustep on an embedded platform?) Sparc, ARM and MIPS would be of wider use.

I can look and test Sparc and MIPS (LE). Maybe we can do that on another rainy weekend, David? An excuse to dig out the sparc-asm. Actually, I think I did implement it for the Kaffe Java-VM, I should look there.

Riccardo