Re: clang and libobjc2

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: clang and libobjc2
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 13:42:22 +0000

On 26 Mar 2010, at 13:28, Eddie McCreary wrote:

> Am I missing something obvious or is the new runtime too young to use yet?
> Thanks.

I'm missing something.  These will generate exactly the same code, so if the
runtime works in one instance it will work in the other.  I have just tried
this test case:

#import <Foundation/Foundation.h>

@implementation NSString(print)
- (void)print
{
        printf("%s", [self UTF8String]);
}
@end

int main(void)
{
        [NSAutoreleasePool new];
        id o = [NSString stringWithUTF8String:"hello world\n"];
        [o print];
        NSString *s = o;
        [s print];
        return 0;
}

This gives exactly the same result with clang, clang -fobjc-nonfragile-abi and
GCC, all with libobjc2: It prints hello world twice.

If you are having problems, please try to see whether it is a clang or libobjc2
issue by compiling with GCC.  If this works, it's a clang bug.  I don't see
that this can be anything other than a compiler bug (or some problem with your
code, as you didn't give a complete test case), because both of the lines that
you provided will generate identical code in a working compiler.

David

-- Sent from my Apple II