Re: FOSDEM 2011 devroom application - will GAP and QuantumSTEP / mySTEP

From: Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller
Subject: Re: FOSDEM 2011 devroom application - will GAP and QuantumSTEP / mySTEP participate?
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2010 11:39:30 +0200

Am 13.10.2010 um 23:00 schrieb Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf:

> Hi everybody,
>
> I plan to send in the following form to apply for a GNUstep devroom at FOSDEM
> 2011. Some comments of mine / questions to you start with "-->"
>
> --- snip ---
>
>> Devroom request form
>>
>> Developer Room
>> devroom name: *
>>
>> The name or topic of the devroom
>
> World of GNUstep - a collaboration of GNUstep related projects
>

> --> this is somewhat similar to last years topic. If you've a more brilliant
> idea please let me know

Maybe, we should expand the focus to include Obj-C? To attract more iPhone
people. Especially if we get some CoreGraphics and UIKit clone :)

i.e "World of GNUstep - a collaboration of open Objective-C based projects"

>> devroom description: *
>>
>> A description of the devroom: its topic, goals and target projects.
>
> participating projects:
>
> - GNUstep
>
>       GNUstep is a free, object-oriented, cross-platform, OpenStep/Cocoa API
> compatible framework and development environment written in Objective-C
>
> - Étoilé
>
>       Étoilé is an innovative GNUstep based user environment designed from
> the ground up around the things people do with computers: create,
> collaborate, and learn.
>
> - GAP - the GNUstep Application Project
>
>       The GNUstep Application Project provides a comprehensive set of
> administration and user level tools to make using GNUstep based environments
> a very pleasant experience. Part of the charter of this project is not only
> to write new tools, but also to port existing NeXTSTEP/OPENSTEP/Cocoa
> applications to GNUstep as well.
>
> - QuantumSTEP / mySTEP
>
>       QuantumSTEP is a Mac-like Application Platform that can be installed on
> existing mobile Linux devices (Openmoko, Zaurus, Letux, ...) aiming at
> highest level of useage, data and application source code compatibility (to
> the Macintosh platform) prepared for perfect data exchange and sync.
>

> --> IMPORTANT: I need to know whether GAP and QuantumSTEP / mySTEP will
> participate in 2011

I plan to attend for mySTEP/QStep. But as last year there is also a Openmoko
Devroom planned. And I know only after the Devrooms have been decided by the
FOSDEM organizers if they are both accepted and run on the same day. If they
run on different days, it is not a problem at all. But even if they run in
parallel, we will have a better chance than last year to define the schedule
when the OM devroom was announced just 2 weeks before FOSDEM start.

> goals:
>
> - teach interested developers how to write cross platform applications or
> port Cocoa applications to Linux BSD and Windows using GNUstep
> - share news about the latest development and plans on GNUstep
> - improve collaboration between the several GNUstep related projects
> - using GNUstep to write applications for mobile devices ((e.g. Openmoko,
> Beagleboard)
> - code sprints, hacking, discussing
>
> --> what else?
>

> --> also mostly copy paste from last year's application. but then again, we
> didn't change our topics and goals, didn't we?
>

>> devroom related URLs: *
>>
>> Some URLs related to the devroom request and projects (one URL per line)
>
> http://gnustep.org/
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNUstep
>
> http://etoileos.com/
>
> http://gap.nongnu.org/
>
> http://www.quantum-step.com/wiki.php?page=About
> http://www.quantum-step.com/wiki.php?page=mySTEP

You could replace the mySTEP link by a new URL:
http://projects.goldelico.com/p/mySTEP/

> --> are there any new URLs I could add here?
>

>> Contact Info
>> name of the responsible: *
>>
>> Name of the devroom responsible.
>
> Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf
>

> --> is somebody willing to help here? Richard?
>
>> email: *
>>
>> Contact email of the responsible.
>
> lars.sonchocky-helldorf@hamburg.de
>
>> relation to the topic: *
>>
>> How the devroom responsible relates to the topic of the devroom (developer
>> of a project or community manager or ...)
>
> Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf is a community manager for GNUstep
>

>> Optional
>> preferred day:
>> Saturday from 12:00 to 18:00
>> Sunday from 10:00 to 17:00
>
> [x] Saturday from 12:00 to 18:00
>

> --> most people opted for saturday, so I did choose saturday here
>
>> Devrooms are one day by default. You can select the day you prefer. (a
>> request for multiple days needs convincing argumentation in the 'comments'
>> section below)
>> comments/remarks:
>>
>> Optionally, any comments or questions you have.
>
> Objective-C, the principal language of GNUstep, is currently the fastest
> growing programming language according to
> http://www.tiobe.com/index.php/content/paperinfo/tpci/index.html

++

> GNUstep has the pivotal role of offering a free implementation of the
> Objective-C de-facto framework-standard "OpenStep" (now Cocoa). It enables
> thereby free and open source application and framework development while
> maintaining compatibility to recognized industrial solutions.

++

> GNUstep is a good match for FOSDEM since the target audience of GNUstep are
> developers who want to develop cross platform (Unix, Windows, Mac) GUI or
> server side applications or command line tools using state of the art object
> oriented Frameworks.

++

> --> I'd like to have a native speaker to proof read this. Also, I'd like to
> know whether all this sounds to much like marketing bs?
>
> --- snap ---
>

> If everybody is satisfied with this I'll send this to the FOSDEM folks on
> friday.
>

> regards,
>
>       Lars

BR and thanks for your continued activities!

Nikolaus