Re: GNUstep install

From: Truls Becken
Subject: Re: GNUstep install
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2010 17:36:25 +0100

On Sat, Nov 13, 2010 at 10:45, Riccardo Mottola wrote:

>> Nicola: Is it time to remove these yet? They only have any chance of
>> pointing to a meaningful place when using a gnustep layout.
>
> Remember that there are a lot of people using the gnustep layout...

Yes, and that is fine.

The point is that programs should not use the GNUSTEP_*_ROOT
variables. They were deprecated almost three years ago, and now that
fhs layout is the default for users installing from source, programs
that still use them will not work on a default install. They also
cause confusion when defined on setups where they don't make sense.
That's why I ask if the time has come to follow up on the "will be
removed" part.

Perhaps the best way is to first make strict v2 mode the default, and
then remove the backward compatibility after a few more years have
passed?

-Truls