Re: www.gnustep.org should change screenshot

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: www.gnustep.org should change screenshot
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2010 15:02:09 +0000

On 5 Dec 2010, at 14:47, Riccardo Mottola wrote:

> In any case, check the homepage of www.gtk.org
>
> It is easy, simple... actually I don't like it too much, but it is clear. It
> contains to much information, but gives easy access to the goals and to
> sections of the site. We are not that distant (also because... during the
> last web-design remake we used that for inspiration...).
>
> It doesn't try to showcase GTK on windows and mac and linux! It doesn't show
> glade either.

Well, it doesn't showcase GTK on Mac because GTK on Mac requires X11 and looks
ugly.  I think GTK on Windows has improved slightly recently, but it's also not
really something that they'd want to showcase.

However, there is a big difference between GTK and GNUstep: Most people going
to the GTK site will already have used an entire desktop environment that is
written using GTK.  The web site doesn't need to showcase GNOME, because pretty
much everyone going to the GTK site will already be familiar with it.

In contrast, people going to the GNUstep site are likely to have either no
preconceived ideas about it, or think of it as 'that WindowMaker thing,' maybe
'a recreation of that old NeXT stuff'.  For us, it is very important to
highlight the fact that we support integration with environments that are not
NeXT-like or even Mac-like.

I agree that showing GORM is not so important - having a UI builder is no
longer unusual or interesting, and you can't convey the difference between GORM
/ IB and other GUI editors in a screenshot.

David

-- Sent from my IBM 1620