Re: URGENT: Unable to run PROJECTCenter

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: URGENT: Unable to run PROJECTCenter
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2010 05:51:36 +0000

On 19 Dec 2010, at 22:29, Riccardo Mottola wrote:

> Hi,
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Now it work and I can even follow the convertor example to the end.  But I
>> got the following error when I try to build.
>>
>> :dup: dup(some disk file) failed, handle 0, Win32 error 6
>>
>> What is that?
>>
> I have no real clue why that happens. I know that sometimes when I compile
> and uptate the whole core system, it happens. Usually after another clean
> build of core and PC it fixes. Currently it works for me.
> IIRC, it has to do with the way stoud/stderr are piped and read on windows.
> Richard?
> I don't know why it is unreliable.

I'm not really familar with the PC code or with mswindows (as far as I know the
dup() system call in windows should behave the same way as the dup() call in
unix).
I did a quick search for Win32 error 6 and found that it is
ERROR_INVALID_HANDLE (See
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc231199(PROT.10).aspx) so I guess the
code is trying to duplicate a bad file handle ... which probably means that the
file was not successfully opened  in the first place (or was closed), and you
need to find out how/why that happened.  Since this is handle 0 (stdin) it
really *ought* to be open/valid.