GNUstep, Google Summer of Code, and an idea

From: Denis Washington
Subject: GNUstep, Google Summer of Code, and an idea
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2011 20:46:05 +0100

Hello,

I have seen that the GNU project has been accepted for this year's Google Summer of Code, but the ideas list does not list anything related to GNUstep. Does that mean that the GNUstep project will not mentor any students?

If it does, I'd like to propose working on a CSS-based GNUstep theme engine over the course of the summer. Depending on how happy you are with the currently implemented theme system, this could be a subclass of / add-on to the existing GSTheme class (if doable, I am not sure) or as a complete replacement with a design similar to the one of GTK+ 3, with a code-based lower and an (optional) CSS-based higher layer [1][2].

What do you think?

Regards,
Denis

[1] http://library.gnome.org/devel/gtk/unstable/GtkThemingEngine.html