Re: Weep fo GNUstep

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: Weep fo GNUstep
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 09:43:19 +0100

Hi,

I weep for GNUstep, it could have been great but it continues to degenerate
into a steaming pile of uselessness trying to emulate all of the worst features
of OS X and Gnome.  I have given up on it again and am using OS X which it is
so ugly that I cringe every time I look at the screen and it is going to get
even worse with Lion as Apple dumbs it down even more to look like a telephone
interface.

This post cries for trolling, however since I very much agree that Apple is dumbing down Mac to be like an iPhone in every detail of its interface and that it lost its consistency and ease of use years ago and goes worse and worse with each release done since 10.3, I wonder how this affects GNUstep.

I use GNUstep daily. While we surely add APIs coming from Cocoa, we are very careful in changing the interface and the user experience.

I run GWorkspace, Terminal and several end-user applications and their appearance changed little, new features try to blend in.

So if you want your *rant* to be just somewhat constructive, please detail.

Thanks.

Riccardo

GWorkspace maintainer, GAP developer