Re: Question about WindowMaker

From: Martin Dietze
Subject: Re: Question about WindowMaker
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2011 08:33:45 +0100

On Tue, March 22, 2011, Banlu Kemiyatorn wrote:

> Such extra support shouldn't exist as they were like some hacks that
> barely work and crash all the times until the day I gave up trying to
> use WMaker for GNUstep development. I know you guys like the WM, but
> keep pushing it for the frontier ahead is a suicide battle. Just
> personally stay with it as long as you wish like your old grandpas as
> probably most of GS app will continue to work fine. But get out of the
> delusion that we can market it for the mass.

I don't see any suicide battle in this - WM is stable and far
less resource consuming than any other desktop environment. Yet
it is a complete (while slim) environment rather than a bare
bones window manager. I haven't seen anything in WM that crashes
all the time for the last 7 years. This cannot be said about
other desktop environments.

I've tried different enviromments in the past, have even been
using GNOME for the last half year (just for the kick of an
occsasional change), but so far I've always been back to WM
after a while. I don't see why this should be a political
question or anything related to some kind of sentimentality. If
soemthing does the job better than others, then it is a valid
and good choice, nothing less, nothing more.

Cheers,

M'bert

--
----------- / http://herbert.the-little-red-haired-girl.org / -------------