Re: Best Linux distro for GNUstep?

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: Best Linux distro for GNUstep?
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2011 14:17:03 +0000

On 23 Mar 2011, at 19:13, Dario Niedermann wrote:

> What's the best Linux distribution for installing, setting up and using
> GNUstep?

If you want to install from source, pretty much anything works.  I now quite a
few people use Debian or Ubuntu.  Richard uses Centos, as I recall, but I
wouldn't recommend that because its ancient glibc is even horrible to work with
than recent glibc.

If you want decent packages, skip Linux and use FreeBSD - ports show up a few
days after each release and then it's just a matter of 'portinstall gnustep' to
get all of the dependencies and everything installed.  Oh, and you also get
some nice bonuses like ZFS and sound that works without buggy userspace sound
daemons.

David