Re: MacPorts GNUstep

From: Andrea D'Amore
Subject: Re: MacPorts GNUstep
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2011 17:11:31 +0200

On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 9:37 PM, Ivan Vučica <ivucica@gmail.com> wrote:
> This is not what I meant. I meant I want to share stuff with other people.

That's what I got.

>  With Debian it is possible to set up an additional repository, which is an
> often used functionality in case a) developers want to share bleeding edge
> packages, b) software could never be included in Debian.
> But nonetheless, using SVN to checkout a local copy of portfiles, and then
> using those locally sounds better when producing patches to Portfiles. Thanks!

Of course you can use additional repository in MP. What I meant is to
use your already setup SVN repository, you just use a working copy as
local repository and share the repo URI with other people.

To be clear this is my sources.conf:
  file:///opt/local/var/macports/sources/local
  file:///opt/local/var/macports/sources/svn.macports.org/trunk/dports [default]

the latter being a svn repo.

> I suppose you are suggesting this so I can update just from the local
> portfiles, to avoid syncing with macports rsync'd repositories? :-)

You would update both, the local would have newer packages so it'd
come first when installing ports.

> I'd like to just patch stuff to work with current version before upgrading to
> actual current versions (for example recently released 1.22 base, 2.6.0 make,
> etc). Once things work, then upgrading can be done. Eric has already tested
> updating and with previous versions gnustep-base didn't work. Since 1.22 is
> now released, we could try this again.

I'd rather go with actual stable, but that's a matter of personal taste.

--
Andrea