Re: icon previews?

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: icon previews?
Date: Sun, 05 Jun 2011 13:42:54 +0200

Hi,
not only for images. everything. can the gworkspace preview be
extended so external preview generator/thumbnailer can provide the
icon? im kinda tired of looking at filenames and icons that all look
the same. and even tired of waiting for applications to load the
document only to close it when its not what im looking for.
I have no intention to extend the previewer in that direction, I explain below the difference. To have a quick preview of a document, I consider the contents inspector enough. The contents inspector is extensible and already supports the preview of RTF files, PDF files, addresses, sound files. Other previews are possible and some are "work in progress".
on the other hand im writing a clone of the mac os 7 finder and i just
want to look for ideas how to add previews as quickly as possible
You could use the contents inspector plugins, however there is a fundamental difference in the concept: the icon preview can only show images, the content preview can show everything since it embeds a small user interface. Thus for example you could not preview a sound in an icon preview (well, you could draw its wave envelope). To preview a RTF text you need to render it. A PDF could show the first page (while the contents inspector allows you to browse it).

In other words, one is a NSImage, the other a NSView.

Riccardo