Re: Please test pending bugfix release of base

From: Quentin Mathé
Subject: Re: Please test pending bugfix release of base
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2011 12:39:42 +0200

Hi Richard,

Le 16 juin 2011 à 09:58, Richard Frith-Macdonald a écrit :

> It's long enough now since the last release that I'd like to make a bugfix
> release of the base library (going from 1.22.0 to 1.22.1).
> This release is mostly for portability issues, but there are fixes to atomic
> operations used for retain/release safety, which would be important to
> threaded software, so we really should make a release for tis alone.
> The idea is not to add any new features, just to make things even more
> reliable and portable.
>
> Please could people (especially those with unusual hardware and/or
> obscure/old operating systems) give this a try so we can make this release as
> portable and reliable as possible.
>
> You can get hold of the pre-release code using subversion from
> svn://svn.gna.org/svn/gnustep/libs/base/branches/stable
> If there is anyone who really can't use subversion but would like to try
> this, please let me know and I'll send you a .tar.gz archive of the source
> (approx 3MB email).

Base seems to work pretty well in my case currently.

However what I observe is that valgrind reports many memory leaks, even with a
progam that does nothing (see code below), and this means it's hard to track
down a memory corruption with valgrind. The output becomes really huge (several
MB) when you run a real application or tool.

#import <Foundation/Foundation.h>

int main (int argc, const char * argv[])
{
        CREATE_AUTORELEASE_POOL(pool);
        DESTROY(pool);
        return 0;
}

Here is the valgrind output with 'valgrind --leak-check=full' for the progam
above: http://60gp.ovh.net/~dromasof/gnustep/base-valgrind.log

Cheers,
Quentin.