Fwd: gcc 4.6

From: Amr Aboelela
Subject: Fwd: gcc 4.6
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2011 23:07:31 -0700

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Amr Aboelela <amraboelela@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 11:02 PM
Subject: Re: gcc 4.6
To: Nicola Pero <nicola.pero@meta-innovation.com>

Hi Nicola,

I am using Ubuntu where i installed gnustep using its aptitude,

but now it seems that to make gnustep works with gcc 4.6, i have to install gnustep from its source using the script make command,

i tried "sudo make install" in the directory gnustep/moduels/core/base/

and i got this error:

You do not have either ffcall or libffi installed/enabled, or configure needs
--with-ffi-include and/or --with-ffi-library flags so GNUstep can find them,
or you have ffcall but gnustep-make is configured to use native exceptions
(native exceptions are not compatible with ffcall).
GNUstep requires libffi (or ffcall) and proper libobjc hooks to do
invocations and DO.
(This does not apply on apple-apple-apple systems where DO is
not compatible with other GNUstep systems.)

You most likely do not want to build base without invocation support.
Many things (including Distributed Objects and undo/redo), won't work
at all without invocations.
If you really want to build -base without invocation support,
add --disable-invocations to the configure arguments.
For more information, read the GNUstep build guide, ffcall section:
http://gnustep.made-it.com/BuildGuide/index.html
configure: error: Incomplete support for ffi functionality.
make: *** [base.make] Error 1

=====

i installed, ffcall-1.10 using make and from aptitude i installed libffcall1

i   libffcall1                      - Foreign Function Call Libraries
p   libffcall1-dev                  - Foreign Function Call Libraries (developme

but i still get the same error.

i also tried to run "CC=gcc-4.6 ./configure"
inside the gnustep/moduels/core/base/ directory but i got this error:

Check to make sure you have a full installation of the GCC
compiler that includes the Objective-C headers and libraries
configure: error: Could not find Objective-C headers

On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 7:32 AM, Nicola Pero <nicola.pero@meta-innovation.com> wrote:
> Hi Nicola,
>
> I installed gcc 4.6 in ubuntu while already having gnustep and 4.4 installed.
>
> the gnustep gnumake compilation still using gcc 4.4, how can i force it to use gcc 4.6?

First of all, you need to determine how you to specify GCC 4.6 instead of GCC 4.4 when
compiling in Ubuntu.  Do you need to use a different command ?  Eg, gcc-4.6 vs. gcc ?

Then, you need to configure gnustep-make with gcc-4.6.  Typically you'd use

 CC=gcc-4.6 ./configure

when configuring gnustep-make.  If you have gnustep-make from packages, it may be locked
to use GCC 4.4; to use 4.6 you may need to reinstall it.

Thanks

--
Info about Islam: http://wikiz.info/islam
Latest news on twitter: http://www.twitter.com/zagel