Re: building a self-contained deployable gnustep

From: Julian Mayer
Subject: Re: building a self-contained deployable gnustep
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2011 12:42:24 +0200

hello david

> I have some out-of-tree patches that make this quite easy - I wrote them for
> deploying on WebOS, where I wanted to do the same thing.  I hope to have time
> to tidy them up (and make sure that they don't break other configurations)
> soon...

great, thanks. perhaps a wiki page with instructions would be just the right
thing once they have landed ;-)

> Basically, you can link the GNUstep libraries just as you would others, but
> they need to be able to find the their resources.  There is some optimisation
> in NSBundle that, unfortunately, has the side effect of breaking everything
> when the GNUstep libraries are not where they expect to be.  This primarily
> means that the time zone data is not in the right place.

hm the time zone stuff is of no concern to me, but i guess GUI also goes wild
if it doesn't find all its lovely TIFFs and stuff.

> I'm not 100% certain why the time zone data needs to be bundled with GNUstep,
> since it's present on most systems anyway, so I also want to look at
> factoring this out a bit.

thanks, i anticipate any improvement here.

still, i am a bit disappointed, i had expected that all of this would just work
already, but only insiders know how to do it...

i can't believe that although it being more than 15 years old, no-one so far
has bundled gnustep with their deployable binary only package?

thanks, julian