Re: ANN: DataBasin 0.4

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: ANN: DataBasin 0.4
Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2011 08:02:47 -0400

    I don't think that a "local" version makes much sense at all.

Why do you think so?  Our stance is that is the right way to do things.

                                                                  However,
    the "free" world will eventually need to make up its mind on how to cope
    with Saas and "the cloud".

"The cloud" is just a nebulous confusion, the result of lumping together
things that are different.  Thus, to try to have an approach to "the cloud"
is misguided.  However, SaaS is specific enough to have a policy about.

We define SaaS as doing your own computing in someone else's server.
That is always bad, because you lose control of your computer that way.
We must develop local replacements to do the computing people want to do.

See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/who-does-that-server-really-serve.html.

    On the short term, one can build open stuff using the platform service
    like Heroku or more limitedly the force.com platform itself.

I don't know about them -- could you tell me in one sentence about each?

    2) Please understand the eStationery-computing-hybrid and changes
    to office furniture relating to eStationery about to take place to
    usher in very low cost computing... it is where GNU OS will excell
    in very lowcost computational stationery (it uses ePaper screens
    and can be written on digitally by biro with the silver tip of the
    biro digitally scanned by a clipboard IR pen reader).

There is nothing wrong with using a separate client and server,
but if the server does your computing, it must be under your control.
That means it runs your copy of free software.

It could be the freedom box, perhaps.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation