Re: preview: new macports ports

From: Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf
Subject: Re: preview: new macports ports
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2011 21:08:25 +0100

Am 08.11.2011 um 20:04 schrieb Eric Wasylishen:

Ok, great!

Here are a few more notes:

- It installs using the GNUstep filesystem layout in /opt/local/GNUstep. Using the fhs layout with macports will not work, because gnustep-make adds the gnustep library path to DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH, which is /opt/local/lib with the fhs layout, and if you add /opt/local/lib to DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH it will mess up macports (basically, tools which link to apple versions of libraries will pick up the macports versions in /opt/local/lib and break.)

- Many of the application ports work now (e.g., gorm, systempreferences).

- gnustep-back is currently set to xlib. When I use cairo, opening an open/save panel crashes X11.app. Also tried the latest XQuartz: same problem.

- For anyone with OS X 10.7, my ports won't work until this bug is fixed: https://trac.macports.org/ticket/31171 (building gcc46 on osx lion fails). :-(

- One improvement that could be made in the future is to use the system compiler rather than the macports gcc46. For this we would need a portfile which builds one of GNUstep's libobjc's, and make sure that the apple compiler doesn't try to include headers for apple's libobjc.

Regards
Eric

This is great! Thanks for your effort. Btw. are those ports going to be at the macports repository?

Thanks,

Lars