Re: ANN: GNUstep Objective-C Runtime 1.6

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: ANN: GNUstep Objective-C Runtime 1.6
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2011 19:41:18 +0000

On 23 Nov 2011, at 19:33, Ivan Vučica wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 18:41, David Chisnall <theraven@sucs.org> wrote:
>> - A fully maintained POSIX Makefile to make bootstrapping builds and
>> packaging
>>  easier.  This will be used automatically if GNUstep Make is not installed.
>>
> Amazing!

It always had a POSIX Makefile, it just was a bit bitrotted.  It's now the
build system I'm using when I do development, so it should be well tested.  I'm
developing on FreeBSD, so the Makefile is guaranteed free of GNUisms and is
tested with both FreeBSD and GNU make.  The GNUmakefile, obviously, requires
GNU make.

> Does this mean one does not need to build and install gnustep-make and
> gnustep-base before installing libobjc2?

Yup.

> From what I understood, this is what was previously necessary, which meant
> that gnustep-make and gnustep-base were installed twice. Does this allow one
> to avoid double-building of gnustep-make and gnustep-base?

Yes, that's the idea.  Install libobjc2, install GNUstep-make, install
GNUstep-base, install GNUstep-gui, install everything else.

> Where is libobjc2 installed with this pre-baked makefile?

In ${PREFIX}/lib with headers in ${PREFIX}/include.  ${PREFIX} will default to
/usr/local if not specified with the make command.  The install step is pretty
simple though, so you can just copy the library elsewhere if you want.

The GNUstep Make build system should install it in /Local/Libraries/ (unless
you use a silly FS layout), which will be used in preference to the system
locations, so you can install trunk versions there after you've installed
GNUstep easily and test them.

David

--
This email complies with ISO 3103