Re: NSLog options

From: Matt Rice
Subject: Re: NSLog options
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2012 06:11:29 -0800

On Mon, Feb 6, 2012 at 12:15 AM, Richard Frith-Macdonald
<richard@tiptree.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> On 5 Feb 2012, at 21:12, Dick Seabrook wrote:
>
>> I'm running GNUstep on Centos and Objective-C seems to work fine so far.
>> One slight problem, NSLog output lines always start with the date, time,
>> progname (in this case trngen) and byte count of the call, like this:
>
> Minor correction ... that's the process ID, not a byte count.
>
>>     2012-02-05 16:00:07.984 trngen[14042] <output shows up here>
>>
>> Is there a compiler or NSLog option for shutting this off so I just get
>> the output?
>
> No ... the point about NSLog is to report a standard log format with
> information about the process logging etc, so the prefix is mandatory (though
> there *is* an option to get it to report thread ID as well as process ID).

FWIW, I have on occasion found the header to be annoying as well,
(though I am well aware of fprintf/and GSPrintf if it still exists)
note that use of %@ in fprintf isn't terribly portable, the reason why
is the NSLogs already existed and I wanted to run diff on them (which
the header screws up).