Re: GNA is down...

From: Eric Wasylishen
Subject: Re: GNA is down...
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2012 14:09:41 -0700

Hi,
I would be strongly in favour of switching to a dvcs, and in particular git,
with mercurial as a second choice. There's no excuse these days not to have the
entire project history stored on your hard disk, whereas in 2005 or so, if you
wanted a free dvcs you had a small selection of obscure tools.

One big advantage of dvcs's, which is something I don't hear discussed a lot,
is how much better the GUI's are for reviewing recent commits made by other
people. In my opinion, every active developer should be reviewing the diffs of
most commits to their project. It's simply too slow for me to deal with in
subversion (look up the revision number, run svn diff -rRevisionBeforeFoo:foo |
vim -, wait several seconds, read the diff, look up the next rev # I want to
read, repeat…). Is everyone else reviewing most diffs of recent commits? My bet
is people aren't reviewing as much as they could because it's slow with
subversion.

> I don't think there are any positive reasons to pick git, so it's off the
> table.

When I decided to learn a dvcs to use for all of my personal projects, I picked
git because I liked the hosting sites available for it the best (in particular,
github), and in other respects it seemed at least as good as the other major
contenders.

Some points from my experience with git (2 years, but I stick to the basic
features):

- the git index feature is very handy when coupled with a good GUI (for
example, the official git gui app, or the closed-source SourceTree mac app.) If
you haven't used this feature, I highly recommend trying it. With a good tool,
it amounts to interactive diff editing - you can interactively choose which
parts of you working copy to "stage" for the next commit. The two tools I
mentioned let you select a range of lines with your mouse and stage/unstage
them in the right-click context menu - very powerful. e.g. often I have some
logging code I don't want to commit. Unlike some other "power user" features in
git (rebasing, etc.) this one is something you can learn on your own and pretty
much impossible to screw anything up with :-).

- git appears to be the most popular dvcs. IMHO this importance of this point
shouldn't be underestimated - it means there is a lot of help available; it's
really easy to find tutorials, quick-reference cards, great hosting websites.
New developers are more likely to know it than obscure dvcs's.

- the argument that git is harder to use than subversion, or that the git
command line tools have a terrible UI doesn't match my experience. I find the
comand-line menus in subversion awful (e.g. svn update. "Foo.m is conflicting,
type 'e' to edit, 'p' to postpone, etc.) and have lost work by typing the wrong
command more than once.  I've messed up git working copies only once or twice -
same with subversion - by trying commands without understanding what was going
on.

There are lots of git vs mercurial or git vs foo comparisons available on the
web, some better than others. Here's one git vs mercurial example:

http://felipec.wordpress.com/2011/01/16/mercurial-vs-git-its-all-in-the-branches/

I would be hesitant to switch to a dvcs other than git or mercurial, because
they're both proven (used by many major free software projects), both good and
roughly equivalent, and potential new developers are likely to know these.
Fossil sounds nice but is relatively obscure. I've heard bazaar highly
recommended by friends, but again, not that many people use it outside of the
Ubuntu devs.

Also, if switching to a dvcs for GNUstep means that I have to learn a new
system (mercurial would be new for me), I want it to be something that I can
expect to use in other open-source communities or jobs (which you can expect of
mercurial and git, given they are pretty widespread.)

Regards,
Eric