Re: GNUstep github mirror status...

From: Ivan Vučica
Subject: Re: GNUstep github mirror status...
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2012 15:05:37 +0100

On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 14:13, Derek Fawcus <dfawcus+lists-gnustep-discuss@employees.org> wrote:
On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 09:54:59AM +0100, Ivan Vu??ica wrote:
> I find it fascinating that git didn't cough on file moves and various
> changes in repository structure, like hg did.

That's 'cause git does not care - it cares about content,  not really about containers.

I think git-svn deserves more credit here than git itself. :-)

On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 14:28, Derek Fawcus <dfawcus+lists-gnustep-discuss@employees.org> wrote:
You could partially mitigate the issue that David highighted by grouping
the svn repositories in to the git repositories - albeit as multi-header
repositories,  then it would be possible to commit to aggregate repositories.

e.g.  Make :    make
     Base :    base
               corebase
               libobjc2
     Gui  :    gui
               back
               coreimage
               opal
               quartzcore
               uikit
     CoreApp : gworkspace
               systempreferences
     Gorm
     ProjectCentre

etc.

Then the only co-ordination required with commits would be across between the
agregates,  i.e. libraries in base should be largely independant of those in
Gui.

I don't think there should be any trouble with using submodules to group repos.
--
Ivan Vučica - ivan@vucica.net