Re: Question about object initialization and autorelease

From: Ivan Vučica
Subject: Re: Question about object initialization and autorelease
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2012 17:35:04 +0200

On Sat, Mar 31, 2012 at 11:13, David Chisnall <theraven@sucs.org> wrote:
> Also, coming from a iOS background,

If you come from iOS, is there a reason you choose not to use ARC?

Out of your offered possible reasons, I pick religious reasons. :-)

I was burned once when using a garbage collector. ARC reminds me too much of a garbage collector. One of the very reasons why I fell in love with Objective-C and frameworks built using it is its manual memory management, but which still offers a nicely packaged, consistent and ubiquitous reference counter (as opposed to, e.g., C++).

Who knows -- maybe someday something compelling comes along and changes my mind and I wholeheartedly embrace ARC. I'm much more open to it than towards a GC. But I'm certain many developers will feel this way for many years to come.
--
Ivan Vučica - ivan@vucica.net