Re: GNUmail on NetBSD

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: GNUmail on NetBSD
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2012 11:54:41 +0200

Hi,

On 04/07/12 11:44, Wolfgang Lux wrote:
Fred Kiefer wrote:

For NSASCIIStringEncoding the code in GSFromUnicode() should never try
to use iconv. We have the conversion for this format hard coded.
Could you please add a breakpoint in this function and step through it? I
really would like to understand what goes on here.
The problem, as explained by the reference attached to Stefan's email, is that
NetBSD's iconv does not support the //TRANSLIT option that GNUstep uses to
implement lossy transformations (as you also can see from the backtrace
provided by Riccardo). I have no idea how we could fix that in GNUstep, but on
the other hand there is an easy solution for Riccardo: Just install the gnu
libiconv package on NetBSD and make sure it gets used instead of the default
one.

I tried to install the gnu libiconv and reconfigure base and now it works without warnings.
Is this the only choice however?

Riccardo