Re: [ERROR] Unable to get socket name. Why?

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: [ERROR] Unable to get socket name. Why?
Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2012 15:20:15 +0200

Hi,

Ivan Vučica wrote:
Hi, Ma!

On Sat, Jun 9, 2012 at 4:44 AM, Ma Xiaoming <maxiaoming10000@hotmail.com <mailto:maxiaoming10000@hotmail.com>> wrote:

    Hello Jamie,

    I don't have an iMac or a MacBook, so I can only study Objective-C
    with
GNUstep on Windows.

First of all, best development experience for GNUstep is available under free UNIX-based operating systems, such as GNU/Linux, a variant of BSD or some other system. That's exactly the direction Riccardo pointed you in.

It may be a good idea for you to try your code under something like Ubuntu or the GNUstep-VM, available at the link that Riccardo provided for you.
Exactly, first try the "well known" configuration to debug your code before adding the windows variable to the game. Windows sockets for DO objects though do work, because I use them for FTP on windows.

    In the 7 chapter of this book, it describes a Client/Server
    structure. I was
    very exciting about it, because it is seems like a great structure for
    Internet game programming. But unfortunately, even I could compile the
    Server code, but I cannot run it on my machine. When I try to run
    it, the
    command line told me that unable to get socket name. I was so
    frustrated
    about it, because until now, I cannot figure out what's going on.

It may simply be a bug in the Windows implementation. Windows Sockets have subtle differences from sockets on other platforms (and even implementations on other platforms sometimes have subtle differences).
Also, the manual talks about local sockets and tcp sockets, for local or remote connections. Have you tried both?

It could be also a setup on your machine.

Try running on unix. Either dual-boot or with a virtual machine. So we can help you. In case it is a GNUstpe limitation or bug on windows, we can try to iron it out too.

Riccardo