Re: Scheduling functions to be run all the time in runloop

From: Ivan Vučica
Subject: Re: Scheduling functions to be run all the time in runloop
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2012 22:29:35 +0200

On 9. 7. 2012., at 22:11, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:

Am 09.07.2012 um 21:58 schrieb Ivan Vučica:

Hi,

for Core Animation's implicit animations to work properly, I need to schedule creation and flushing of implicit CATransaction whenever event processing is entered, and whenever the runloop code is entered again. This can be either a C function or an Objective-C method, but I need these two pieces of code to run each and every time runloop calls user code and whenever user code is done running.

Note, I'm not trying to accomplish continuous calling of these methods (that's trivial using e.g. timers); instead, I need these methods to be called, for example, when user chooses a menu item or clicks on a button.

What's the easiest way to accomplish this?

Since this is similar to the displayIfNeeded-mechanism, I think you have to add it to -[NSApplication run] or -[NSApplication runModalSession:]. Maybe it could also be added to -[NSApplication updateWindows].

But if you need to have to do this in any tracking loop (usually in mouseDown:), you should add it to -[NSApplication nextEventMatchingMask:...].

Please don't think you can add it to NSRunLoop since this is Base and not GUI...

If all this does not work, you could try the applicationWillUpdate / applicationDidUpdate notifications.

Please note that Core Animation is not in GUI either :-)

Is there no API in NSRunLoop for scheduling additional functions to be run in the situations I described that would be available to applications?