Re: api for programmatically getting a list of all windows

From: Ivan Vučica
Subject: Re: api for programmatically getting a list of all windows
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2012 19:08:05 +0200

On 19. 9. 2012., at 06:40, Dan Hitt <dan.hitt@gmail.com> wrote:

However, as far as stepping through XGServerWindow.m
goes, that's probably not very easily possible for me, as i am using a
ubuntu package (12.04).  I want to treat gnustep on ubuntu as a black box,
because ultimately i can hardly expect anybody to modify their installation
for my benefit.

You should nonetheless be able to break inside a function. Under OS X, several times I added breakpoints inside Apple code; I presume that it should be possible under GNUstep as well. The very nature of Objective-C should permit that.

And with regards to using Ubuntu and GNUstep packages -- indeed, you should treat it as such when it comes to your app, but there is nothing wrong with suggesting or (even better) submitting changes upstream. There is also nothing wrong with having users install GNUstep from upstream (best option being from SVN). This is primarily because packages are often out of date. If you are unwilling to get users to build GNUstep from source (or ship binaries with your app), I think Philippe Roussel has prepared Ubuntu packages which you can direct your users at.

You'll also want to check whether a fix has been applied with the latest version, and you'll want to test regularly with the latest version, to avoid sudden breakage if/when GNUstep is updated in Debian and Ubuntu repositories.