Re: libobjcxx

From: Kal Conley
Subject: Re: libobjcxx
Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2012 11:56:20 +0200

Am 10/5/12 9:20 AM, schrieb David Chisnall:
> On 5 Oct 2012, at 07:33, Kal Conley wrote:
>
>> Manually using dev-libs/libobjc2/Makefile seems less than ideal. I would
>> like to have libobjcxx put in GNUstep/Local/Library/Libraries/ like
>> libobjc is. If I install with the 'Makefile' it wants to use
>> ${PREFIX}/lib and ${PREFIX}/include so then I will have two copies of
>> the headers laying around. I could modify it, but if I am going to do
>> that, why not just modify the main GNUstep build system to include it in
>> the build?
> The GNUmakefile is unsupported and is provided by Richard as a convenience
> for GNUstep developers.

OK.

> If you want to install libobjc into your GNUstep paths then you can set the
> correct variables.  I haven't looked at the GNUmakefile for a long time, but
> I was under the impression that this is what it did - pick up your library
> and header paths and then pass these to a sub invocation of Make.

I have no strong preference either way. But I would like them to be
installed once. In light of the fact that the 'GNUmakefile' isn't really
supported, I am more than willing to just use David's supported
'Makefile' for everything.

Currently I am running core/make/configure twice. To make sure I
understand this correctly... The first time is just to get

${PREFIX}/System/Library/Makefiles/GNUstep.sh

generated so that I can use GNUmakefile to build libobjc2. Once that is
built running it again detects the in-tree libobjc2 libraries and uses them?

If I move to using 'Makefile' instead of GNUmakefile to build it then do
I only need to run core/make/configure once after I build libobjc2 and
pass the path of the library to configure?