Re: coyote.octets.fr Ubuntu Precise Packages ?? Alternative Way of Inst

From: Philippe Roussel
Subject: Re: coyote.octets.fr Ubuntu Precise Packages ?? Alternative Way of Install Gnustep ??
Date: Sat, 06 Oct 2012 20:58:06 +0200

Hi,

Le 06/10/2012 15:20, Citizen Jimserac a écrit :
> At the following web site, posted on Sept, 16, 2012
> are many gnustep, apparently install packages, for Ubuntu Precise
> (12.04)
>
> http://coyote.octets.fr/pub/gnustep/packages/precise/i386/
>
> Previous to finding this site, on two Ubuntu boxes I have successfully
> followed Ivan's steps, posted elsewhere, using a repository and his
> instructions for installing Gnustep on recent Ubuntus.
>
> What is the purpose of listing these packages ?  There is no
> explanation given.

This is the email I sent to this list on 22/07/2012 :

> Hi all,
>
> Now that I have a somewhat automated build process it would be nice to
> have some feedback on the result.
>
> I tried to use libobjc2, and did a preliminary debianization, but ran
> into linking errors when using gcc 4.7 and didn't investigate much. If
> someone is successfully using libojc2 with gcc 4.7 I would appreciate
> any help.
>
> This time I built packages for precise and wheezy, for both i386 and amd64.
> The packages list looks like :
>  * gnustep-{make,base,gui,back} and related dev packages
>  * addressmanager
>  * agenda
>  * cynthiune (didn't build for some configs)
>  * easydiff
>  * edenmath
>  * gnumail
>  * gorm
>  * gworkspace
>  * gnustep-examples
>  * laternamagica
>  * lusernet
>  * notebook
>  * poe
>  * terminal
>  * textedit
>  * systempreferences
>  * vindaloo (with iconkit and popplerkit from Etoile)
>  * waiho
>  * renaissance
>  * zipper
>  * helpviewer
>
> I changed the directory tree to be able to easily add distributions and
> architectures. Everything is now under the following url :
>
> http://coyote.octets.fr/pub/gnustep/packages/
>
> For example, for precise x86 you can add to sources.list :
>
> deb http://coyote.octets.fr/pub/gnustep/packages/precise/i386/ ./
>
> Please let me know if you find this useful, if a package is broken, if
> you would like to add another package to the list etc.
>
> Thanks,
> Philippe

The purpose is to offer fresh packages (built from svn or recent
sources) as gnustep debian packages are most of the time outdated. This
should be easier for some people than building gnustep and its
applications from sources.

These packages won't modify your .bashrc, you still have to do it if you
want to build using gnustep-make and friends.

Philippe