Re: GNUstep compatible game and 3D engine open-sourced

From: Julian Mayer
Subject: Re: GNUstep compatible game and 3D engine open-sourced
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2012 14:54:15 +0100

hello again

> I'll try to get something better tonight, but yesterday, when I was
> testing, I went out to fram. #1000 and it was the same backtrace going
> back and forth between those two functions.

you can also check out the Core3D-Example and try that first since it's a very
simple example project using the engine. in case it doesn't work either it
should be at least easier to debug.

> I have all the gnustep stuff installed, but besides that the system is
> fairly frugal.  It's a Debian testing install and I didn't have any of
> the SDL, OpenAL, etc installed since I don't usually play any games.

hm i honestly think including instructions how to /obtain/ these standard
libraries is out of the scope of the readme, but you are right that the
dependencies should be spelled out. i'll update the readme now.

> I'll admit I spent about 30 minutes trying to figure out how Github
> worked and how to check out a copy of the code.  I still wasn't
> successful and just downloaded the .zip file that Github has the
> ability of creating.

well i think instructions how to check out code from github are out of scope
for the readme too ;) i've never seen a github project that includes
instructions how to use git...

just do a:

git clone https://github.com/core-code/Core3D.git
git clone https://github.com/core-code/CoreBreach.git

and you are done.

> It is also not obvious what is and is not a dependency.  For example,
> I only found out libffplaylib was a dependency after I had built the
> system.  At which point I went back to Github and got a copy of that
> only to found out I was still missing some stuff dependencies to build
> it.  I than figured out there was some prebuilt binaries as part of
> the distribution and installed one of those instead.
>
> To be honest, some of it was my fault.  But having the hard
> dependencies spelled out would have saved me at least a few minutes.

ok thanks will do just that. i can see that libffplaylib can be "problematic"
if you aren't on linux and can't just use the precompiled binary....but since
you are on debian you shouldn't need to have to mess with it. just set "export
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=_/path/to/CoreBreach/_DEPENDENCIES/libs-linux64/:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

well maybe i should add that to the readme as well ;-) doing it now, thanks.

bye, julian