Re: Ubuntu 12.10 Binary Packages & GNUstep Debug & Analysis Tools

From: Jeffrey Thompson
Subject: Re: Ubuntu 12.10 Binary Packages & GNUstep Debug & Analysis Tools
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2013 15:10:41 -0500

Thank you Philippe!  I specifically was looking for the commands to create the
Debian binary packages which you gave me in your response back to me.  That
sounds excellent Philippe.

I will definitely install your packages on Ubuntu 12.10 amd64 and let you know
how it works out.

I have another question for you if you don't mind.  Do you use the Garbage
Collection library or do you manually manage the Retain/Release counters along
with auto release pools?  I have been doing some testing with manually managing
them and it appears there is potential to have memory leaks from objects that
either get allocated and never released properly or get allocated and released
before the program is finished with them.

I have been overloading the dealloc methods to actually see objects getting
reallocated when I release and the retain counter goes to zero and I can get
pretty close (I think) to the right solution but it still is an area of concern
for me.

Also, can you suggest a debug / analysis tool that works on Ubuntu / Debian
Linux that I can use to watch for memory leaks.  Is GDB the tool?  I'm not
exactly sure how to monitor & analyze for potential memory leaks and possible
object references that get deallocated... Besides the program crashing :)

Thanks again.
--
Jeffrey Thompson
JANOAH, INC.