New OS to use gnustep!

From: Lundberg, Johannes
Subject: New OS to use gnustep!
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2013 16:04:58 +0900

Hi all gnustep people!

My name is Johannes Lundberg and I work for BRILLIANTSERVICE in Japan where I'm am leading the development of a new operating system called "Viking OS", especially designed for head mount displays.

We believe that wearable devices (glasses, HMD) will replace the smartphones in a near future, and we are creating an OS based on BSD that will have special features like gesture control as main input method.

Since we love Objective-C and the Cocoa frameworks we definitely want to have it as the application framework in our OS.

We still have a long way to go before the framework and libraries are ready for use in a commercial product but we are convinced that GNUstep is the way to go and that it will attract many developers world wide to develop apps for our platform once it is released.

The first priority for us would be to complete CoreGraphics and CoreAnimation and make these work properly with AppKit.

With this mail I'm hoping to start a dialog with you and discuss how we together can bring GNUstep to it's full potential and spread Objective-C and Cocoa outside of Apple's world.

We presented our OS together with a prototype HMD for the first time during MWC in Barcelona last week and the response was incredibly positive.
Please look at our homepage or news articles from MWC. Further news will be posted on the blog.

Viking OS blog
http://hmdviking.blogspot.jp

Viking OS homepage (download PDF pamphlet for more info, also attached to this mail)
http://www.brilliantservice.co.jp/viking

Laptop magazine
http://blog.laptopmag.com/viking-ar-goggles

All things D