Re: GNUstep install on FreeBSD9.1

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: GNUstep install on FreeBSD9.1
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2013 09:20:43 +0200

Hi,

On 04/02/13 02:28, Steven LeMaire wrote:
I'm not sure how to fix this in clang (I assume clang needs updating ?)

clang -v tells me this:

# clang -v
FreeBSD clang version 3.1 (branches/release_31 156863) 20120523
Target: i386-unknown-freebsd9.0
Thread model: posix

Strange that clang reports freebsd9.0, but it's actually 9.1

# uname -a
FreeBSD maple 9.1-RELEASE FreeBSD 9.1-RELEASE #0 r243826: Tue Dec  4 06:55:39
UTC 2012     root@obrian.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386

Any help would be appreciated !
I have seen this thread on the freebsd forums too.

My personal experience is that in FreeBSD 9.x, the two system standard compilers gcc 4.2 (because it was explicitly removed, since in FreeBSD it worked fined) and clang (perhaps because it is old, I don't know) are incapable of building gnustep.

Your options thus are to install a better gcc or clang from ports. On all other systems I follow the first one, but since FreeBSD is going the clang route, it is the one I followed.

Together with clang, you need gnustep-libobjc2.

I use sources, not ports, but I guess the requisites are similar. When I configure, I explicitly point CC to be /usr/local/bin/clang instead of "clang" else, the system one gets used.

E.g. (writing from memory) ./configure CC=/usr/local/bin/clang

How this can be applied to ports, I don't know. Also, if it can be proven that the system compiler is not enough and a ports compiler needs to be used, it is a ports bug which should check for the compiler version and in case use the correct one.

Riccardo