Re: [GSoC Mentors Announce] Google Summer of Code 2013

From: Ivan Vučica
Subject: Re: [GSoC Mentors Announce] Google Summer of Code 2013
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2013 22:43:43 +0200

Ping! Student registrations have started. Any prospective mentors?

(Crossposting this to discuss-gnustep.)

On Sat, Apr 20, 2013 at 6:31 PM, Ivan Vučica <ivucica@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello all,

In the end, I only played with compiling Base for Android since writing the previous mail. But, here's some bad news -- that happen to be good for my contributions to GNUstep :-)

It looks like I'll be free from the part-time job that I had last summer. So, any frustration that Fred may have had with me during Google Summer of Code should hopefully go away this year. That, of course, if someone still happens to think I can contribute interesting things :-)

I've thought a bit more about potential contributions for this GSoC, if someone chooses to mentor me and GNUstep gets a GNU slot. Here they are, in order of how "independently" I could implement them.

- UIKit. An implementation of UIKit, along with fixes to QuartzCore needed to make this happen (and to improve performance). I can mostly do this on my own, except for code review, advice and discussion that would improve the work.
- Core Data persistence. From what I understand, there is a basic implementation of Core Data for GNUstep. I could work on extending it with implementations of NSAtomicStore and NSIncrementalStore. I would not focus too much on multithreading, migration, lightweight migration, context merging, etc.
- Integration of QuartzCore into AppKit. This also requires a lot of handholding. Sadly, I don't quite have the "big picture" in my head of how GNUstep GUI works, especially the backends.

I'm of course most interested in things that do with QC, since I already spent a lot of time on Core Animation.

Is someone willing to mentor me for GSoC? Student applications start on Monday. It might also make sense to make an announcement at summer-of-code@gnu.org; maybe a more interesting candidate than me appears (or maybe GNU chooses to give us two slots).