Re: GNUstep distro

From: Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller
Subject: Re: GNUstep distro
Date: Fri, 10 May 2013 08:05:04 +0200

Hi,

Am 08.05.2013 um 17:32 schrieb Liam Proven:

> This may be a silly question - forgive me if so.
>
> Is there a current GNUstep-based distribution, at all?

There is also the QuantumSTEP project. It is sort of a twin to GNUstep,
sharing some source code fragments. And sometimes it is completely
independent.

Its idea is to use a Debian base installation with X11 and then just
apt-get install all the packages needed. I.e. no other config required.
apt-get upgrade loads newer versions.

The packages are cross-compiled for armel, armhf, i386, mipsel
to link against the standard Debian Wheezy packages.

It is X11 based but has its own window manager, so that it is more difficult
to mix non-QuantumStep applications.

This is because its main target are smart phones and tablets where
arbitrary applications and window managers are rarely optimized for
unusual screen dimensions and orientations. So arbitrary applications
are typically not useable completely.

QuantumSTEP is still work in progress. And one or two fundamental
mechanisms are missing before we can make a first general release.
And the most interesting armhf build is currently broken and incomplete.

If you are interested I can help you to experiment with a "beta".

BR,
Nikolaus