Re: GNUstep Projects and Cambridge

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: GNUstep Projects and Cambridge
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2013 10:28:54 +0100

On 25 Jun 2013, at 09:50, "Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller" <hns@goldelico.com> wrote:

> I find this interesting from a theoretical / structureal point of view, but
> why do you want to run any code in the kernel space?

Because we can :-)

> Do you expect a performance benefit or more security (I would expect less)?

Things interacting with the kernel subsystems directly would be faster than if
they needed round trips to userspace.  Things written in higher-level languages
should (in theory) be more reliable.  It's about finding additional places on
the spectrum between performance and reliability.

> Or would any kernel component become easier to develop or test?

We'll find out.  It's not research if you know all of the answers up-front...

David

-- Sent from my brain