Re: Simplified Chinese Translations

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: Simplified Chinese Translations
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2013 00:08:17 +0200

Hi Jeff,

白铭骢 wrote:
Hey there folks!

May I have a introduction first? I am Jeff Bai from Anthon Open Source Community and I am really a big fan of GNUStep. But as a high school student from Mainland China it's really a shame of not having Simplified Chinese (zh_CN.UTF-8) translation for GNUStep. So while we are building :Next for the community (Yes, with some friends of the same or around ages), we decided to polish all the translations to zh_CN for not only GNUStep. But as a big fan of GNUStep I tried my best to do it in the first place! Here is our Git repo for the translations.

https://github.com/TheNextProject/-Next-Translations

   How are they? If you appreciate them, just tell me and take it :-)
I have no language knowledge to tell you if a certain translation is correct. I had a look at GWorkspace translation. What strings file did you work from? May you use the English or Italian one perhaps? they should be the most up-to-date and contain more strings. Others lag behind.

Another thing I ask other "base" experts: is it okay for the strings file to have chine strings directly in it and have (hopefully) a BOM header? When doing italian and german translations, i always encoded special unicode characters directly with \u, not by typing them into the file, which resulted in invalid plists.

I have troubles using make_strings, unfortunately.

   Long live GNUStep!
Thanks for your interest in it.

Riccardo