Re: ALT as a click modifier

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: ALT as a click modifier
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2013 17:32:48 +0200

Hi,

Wolfgang Lux wrote:
okay, I'm going to stick my head out, though I guess I'm not that much qualified to answer for I'm using only Apple keyboards for a long time.
Appreciated! Since everything started with making an application more "standard" by request of a user. Although there are no real standards, it is more a customary thing in this case: we are not speaking about copy&paste or menu entries, but a zoom in/out modifier.
So, how many keyboards are out there without a Windows or other extra key? PC
keyboards come along with a Windows key for quite sometime now.
That is true but it is not always available. At work for example I often use a remote display and the X server doesn't "pass" the windows key.
Some laptops miss it, etc.

OpenStep used to map the Alt key to Command and AltGr to the Alt key on
traditional PC keyboards (without a Windows key). This should work for GNUstep,
too. So I think the 5th option, which you should choose, would be doing nothing
at all. Except possibly checking whether the default mapping for our modifier
keys is reasonable.
But that works I suppose only on Italian or German keyboards where AltGr is actually a different key. A US keyboard has there a normal Alt.

"Doing nothing" has one disadvantage: Even with a "windows" "Super" or "command" equipped machine, the *default* setting of GNUstep (which will be used by the majority) will result in a non-working zoom option, Thus either one reconfigures GNUstep as I do, or I offer some sort of customization.

In other words, by prorgam is correct, it is capable of working, but the user will need some setup before he can use it.

Riccardo